[Tau-announcements] SC'09 -> TAU, PDT, POINT LiveDVD released!

Sameer Shende sameer at cs.uoregon.edu
Mon Nov 16 10:33:45 PST 2009

Hi,
    We are pleased to announce the release of TAU v2.19, PDT 3.15 and the POINT Live-DVD.

http://tau.uoregon.edu/
http://tau.uoregon.edu/point.iso

I. SC'09 Portland, OR activities 11/16/09 - 11/20/09:
We will be showing live TAU Demos at:
NNSA/ASC Booth #735, Demo station #2:
Mon: 7-9pm, Tues noon-6pm, Wed 11am-1pm, 5pm-6pm, Thu 11am-1pm, 3pm-4pm.

Full day tutorial: M05: Productive Performance Engineering of Petascale Applications with POINT and VI-HPS. Room E 147-148. 8:30am - 5pm

POINT BOF: Tues 5:30pm - 7pm A107-108: Productivity Tools for Multicore and Heterogeneous Systems

II. TAU Features.
The following new features have been added since the TAU 2.18.3 released on September 18, 2009

1. tau_run: Rewriting of binary
TAU now supports a robust binary re-writing and runtime instrumentation solution using the DyninstAPI package from U. of Wisconsin and U. Maryland. To use this, simply invoke tau_run as follows:

% tau_run a.out -o a.inst.out
% mpirun -np 4 ./a.inst.out
to generate the performance data. To use a different measurement library (such as <taudir>/<arc>/libTAUsh-papi-mpi-pdt.so), you may re-write using:
% tau_run -XrunTAUsh-papi-mpi-pdt ./a.out -o ./a.inst.out
% setenv TAU_METRICS TIME:PAPI_FP_INS:PAPI_L1_DCM
% mpirun -np 4 ./a.inst.out

To  use  runtime instumentation of uninstrumented binaries, you may simply:
% mpirun -np 4 tau_run ./a.out

3. tau_wrap: Instrumentation of shared objects based on prototypes in headers
Sometimes we need to instrument an external library without instrumenting its source.
This may be necessary for libraries where the source is not available or for when the
library is cumbersome to re-build. TAU's wrapper generator may be used for such cases.Under Linux, the LD_PRELOAD environment variable may be used to pre-load an instrumented library. tau_wrap now supports generating a preloadable shared object by parsing the prototypes in a header file using the new tau_wrap -r libname.so argument (See examples/tau_wrap, utils/README.tau_wrap).

4. ParaProf Enhancements
i) There is now a new expression window for deriving metrics. You may now compose algebraic expressions of metrics both in paraprof and perfexplorer using the Options -> Show Expression Window option. Here, you may load expressions from a file or create new metric expressions. For e.g.
l1hitratio= 1 - (PAPI_L1_DCM/PAPI_TOT_INS)

You may create a library of commonly used metrics and load, select, and apply the expression to the metrics in a trial.
ii) ParaProf's 3D visualization window has been enhanced to show the max, min and current value slider for the height and color metric.
iii) ParaProf now automatically adjusts the memory used using a new tau_javamax.sh tool. This allows us to view large datasets without manually adjusting the memory available to the Java virtual machine.

4. Perfexplorer Enhancements
i) PerfExplorer can now be configured to launch an external application from a
context-sensitive menu.  Using a properties configuration file, the user
can specify a working directory, launch a program, and pass it the
currently selected function, metric, process, thread, and any related
metadata from the profile.  The configuration can also specify which
types of profiles (TAU, gprof, etc.) it can handle.

ii) A new "Aligned bar chart" window has been added to the Charts menu. It is similar to unchecking the "Stack bars together" check box in paraprof's options, but for multiple core counts for cross experiment analysis.

5. New Platforms
TAU has been updated and now supports Microsoft Windows 7, Microsoft Windows HPC Server 2008, and Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6).  TAU also supports the Intel compilers on Cray XT systems.

6. New Languages

TAU now supports UPC (Berkeley UPC using the upcc compiler) and Chapel (Cray). These are also available now on the POINT HI-HPS Livedvd.  Simply configure TAU with -upcnetwork=mpi (or udp, etc.) and it will use the upcc compiler. TAU's compiler-based instrumentation works with both of these languages.

7. Updates
TAU's -bfd=download flag now uses binutils-2.20 instead of 2.18.
tau_validate now supports a TAU_VALIDATE_PARALLLEL and TAU_VALIDATE_SERIAL environment variables to run tests (see --help). You may specify how to execute a program using your batch system (mpirun -np 4 ./simple) in a script and tau_validate will generate the table of checks based on these scripts.
III. PDT 3.15
PDT's license has evolved to a new, more liberal license that includes permission to use components of the Edison Design Group, Inc.'s commercial C and C++ parsers and PDT's IL analyzers (collectively cparse and cxxparse tools) in a commercial setting. Earlier, PDT 3.14.1 and before had a more restrictive license that prohibited usage of the C++ and C parsers in a commerical setting (research usage was permitted). Now, under a new licensing agreement, PDT may be used freely by our commercial users subject to the terms and conditions of our new license. See http://www.cs.uoregon.edu/research/pdt.

IV. LiveDVD
The POINT VI-HPS livedvd (http://tau.uoregon.edu/point.iso) has been updated with new packages, including:
Vampir 7.0 beta
PerfSuite 1.0.0a3
TotalView 8.7.0
TAU 2.19
PDT 3.15
PAPI 3.7.0
Berkeley UPC 2.8.0
PPW 2.2.0
DyninstAPI 6.1
Eclipse/PTP 3.5.1
Support for wireless devices
Support for PAE based kernel for accessing more than 4GB RAM under in a 32 bit system.

You may also insert the LiveDVD in a Windows machine and click on "Lauch POINT LiveDVD" and it will boot up the DVD under a emulator. Under any virtual machine, PAPI based hardware performance counters will not work, but other tools should work.

We would like to thank our partners at the University of Wisconsin, Cray, Inc., University of Florida, TotalView Technologies, Edison Design Group, Inc. (EDG) for their help in putting together a full Linux distribution for HPC including the leading set of performance and development tools.

VII. Updated Documentation
We now have a new quick reference guide to using TAU and have improved our web based documentation, re-organized our user's guide and movies section in the TAU documentaiton.

Please let us know if we may assist you with the use of these tools.

	Thanks,
	- Sameer
	(for tau-team at cs.uoregon.edu)