[Tau-announcements] New versions of TAU, PDT, KTAU released

Sameer Shende sameer at cs.uoregon.edu
Thu Jul 12 10:29:19 PDT 2012

Hi,

	We are pleased to announce the release of TAU v2.21.3, PDT v3.18, and KTAU v3.0 available from:

http://tau.uoregon.edu/

The following new features have been added since TAU v2.21.2 released on March 26, 2012.

1. TAU Support for ARM Linux
----------------------------

TAU and PDT have been ported to the ARM Linux platform. This includes
support for automatic source-based instrumentation using PDT and
tau_instrumentor, support for compiler-based instrumentation, MPI library
level interposition, event-based sampling, as well as linker based
instrumentation. PDT's C, C++, and Fortran parsers have been ported to the
ARM Linux platform. TAU's 3D profile browser, ParaProf, has been ported
with the JOGL support running natively on the ARM Linux platform.

The TAU team would like to thank the MontBlanc project
[http://www.montblanc-project.eu], Barcelona Supercomputing Center
[http://www.bsc.es], and CINECA, Italy [http://www.cineca.it] for their
support of the TAU project.

2. TAU Support for Intel MIC
----------------------------

TAU supports the Intel MIC KNC platform in the native and the host mode.
This includes support for event based sampling, and the commonly used
instrumentation techniques in TAU (PDT, MPI, and linker). TAU
automatically detects the Intel MIC platform during configuration
(-arch=mic_linux). We would like to thank Intel for their support of the
TAU project.

3. TAU support for CUDA 5.0 Preview
-----------------------------------
TAU supports CUDA 5.0. In addition, both the CUDA and OpenCL
examples have been updated to run on a configurable number of devices
and any for number of iterations.

Applications with threads (any type) can now use the merged profile format
(export TAU_PROFILE_FORMAT="merged") and take advantage of the smaller
profile size and precomputed statistics.

We would like to thank NVIDIA for their support of the TAU project.

4. Support for instrumenting UPC runtime layer (-optTrackUPCR)
This release of TAU has a wrapper interposition library for tracking the time
spent in UPC runtime library calls. Currently, the Cray CCE UPC compiler and
the Berkeley UPC compiler are supported. To use this feature simply add
-optTrackUPCR to the TAU_OPTIONS environment variable and build the code using
the tau_upc.sh compiler script.

5. Improved support for OpenMP instrumentation

This release of TAU includes an updated Opari2 v1.0.3 OpenMP
instrumentation tool. To pre-process C and C++ source code to expand the
macros, TAU supports a new -optPreProcess option that parses and
pre-processes the header files using a new tau_macro.sh tool that inlines
the macros without inlining the header files prior to parsing with Opari.
You may specify this in the TAU_OPTIONS environment variable. This is
useful for instrumentation of OpenMP codes where C style pre-processor
macros are used for conditional compilation of OpenMP pragmas (e.g., NPB
MZ IS benchmark). This typically poses a problem for Opari based
instrumentation, but using this -optPreProcess option adds a pass
transparently before Opari and improves C and C++ instrumentation.

6. tau2otf for OTF2
-------------------

TAU supports the Open Trace Format v2 (OTF) with the new tau2otf tool.
This tool can convert merged legacy TAU traces to the OTF2 format. To
generate OTF2 traces natively in TAU, please use Score-P
[www.score-p.org]. OTF2 files generated from Score-P do not need to be
merged and converted to a different format and are the preferred way to
generate trace data efficiently.

7. Re-engineering of the MPI wrapper
------------------------------------

The MPI wrapper interposition library in TAU has been updated and has a
much lower overhead by using a more efficient data structure for tracking
asynchronous communication events.

8. ParaProf Enhancements
------------------------

ParaProf now supports IBM BG/Q platform for 3D displays. We have added
support for displaying callpath profiles using event based sampling with
flat instrumented events in the thread table window. Other improvements
include configuration issues for loading libjogl.so and bug fixes.

9. Program Database Toolkit (PDT) v3.18
---------------------------------------

PDT v3.18 adds support for the ARM Linux platform with new binaries for
the parsers. The configuration script now supports Intel MIC linux,
Fujitsu Sparc Linux, and IBM BGQ platforms. MAQAO [www.maqao.org], the
binary instrumentation tool now supports rewriting of GNU C++ binaries in
addition to GNU C and Fortran. PDT supports Ubuntu and Debian
distributions better in this this release. We have also introduced a
"lite" package for PDT for Linux x86_64 that does not include binaries for
other platforms. It is available from the PDT webpage or:

http://tau.uoregon.edu/pdt_lite.tar.gz
You may download the full release from:
http://tau.uoregon.edu/pdt.tgz

10. KTAU v3.0 release
--------------------

To observe events inside the Linux kernel, earlier versions of Kernel TAU
(KTAU) relied on patching the source code the linux kernel with KTAU
instrumentation code.  While this worked for specific versions of the
Linux kernel, it was difficult to maintain patches for the recent kernels.
This new v3.0 release of KTAU includes support for Tracepoints and does
not require patching the source code of the Linux kernel. Instead, KTAU
now builds a loadable kernel module that may be installed (as root) if you
wish to create integrated profiles that map user-space profile data with
the kernel profiles. TAU needs to be configured with the -ktau-ng
configure flag. Instructions for doing this are availabe from the KTAU
webpage or:
http://www.cs.uoregon.edu/Research/ktau/releases/README_KTAU.txt

   Please let us know if we may assist you with our tools in any way.
   Thanks,
   - Sameer
  (for tau-team@ cs.uoregon.edu)